About me




  • What is this promise to myself ?  A lifeline.  This is something for me within this often wild and harried experience of being a Mom at home with two small children.  While struggling with depression and considering my options for healing, I have chosen this as a practice.  I have the little family, I always wanted when I grew up.  This is my very specific decision, my promise, to see beauty in it all everyday.


  • What I do: I write articles for ParentMap and try my best to work for at least thirty minutes a day on my book. I am writing a vibrant and sensuous memoir about depression and how it has affected me as a mom and wife. I also put myself (instead of my kids) in front of the camera lens more.  I never imagined self-portraiture would start my healing process out of depression. Now I love sharing this journey (one that used to consume me so secretly) with others.
  •  What I don't do: Cleaning.


  • What my favorite motto is: When Mama's happy, everybody's happy!


  • What one of my most significant titles is: I am a fishmonger's wife.


  • Who my fishmoger husband is: Taho Kakutani the love of my life


  • Where I went to school: The Corcoran School of Art and Design, Washington D.C.


  • Who actually taught me to make art: My mother gave me the freedom and space to take hours of creative solitude to myself (and still does.). She put up with my messes and took me shopping at the art supply store.   My grandmother and my father taught me that making things with your hands is honorable work and a fine way to support and love your family.


  • Where I have lived: Wilmington, DE (born) Washington D.C., Asheville NC, Taos NM, Bethany Beach DE, Vashon Island WA, Seattle (currently)


  • Where I'd still like to live: Someplace sunnier and closer to my family but with all the beautiful nature, mountains, beaches, public composting and progressive thinking of my current town.


  • What I can't live without:  Regular infusions of spicy Chai Tea 


  • What I can live without: Code stickers on my fruit and vegetables


  • Who I spend all my time with: Alita Dorothy (almost 7 yrs) Asa Toshi (2.5 yrs) Sarah Ding Dong Dog (42 in dog years)


  • Where I can be contacted: jenniferdorothyk@gmail.com


  • Who inspired my about page: my talented illustrator friend Beegee
  • 10 comments:

    1. This is great! I love reading about you and your family. This is very inspiring :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Please send me an email and let me know who you are :)

        Delete
    2. Thank you for your honesty -- just read your article about selfies on Parentmap and find myself really inspired and touched by the way you are able to own your anxiety and depression AND your motherhood. I am a mama and also managing my (seemingly innate) depression/anxious tendencies through my writing, bodywork, yoga, and trying to find connections with other women. Maybe we will bump into each other in a writing or yoga class someday! namaste and lots of love, Joely

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. What a lovely comment! Please send me an email and be in touch.

        Delete
    3. I really liked your ParentMap essay on mothering, but I wonder at the rather huge gap between November with a hint of depression to spring and feeling better. I know there was a low point (because I've had those lows) and a resurfacing (because luckily I've had those, too). More about that gap, please. Or maybe not. Because I like your writing about art, too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much Laurie for your thoughtful comment. Especially in these days after the death of Robin Williams, I have been thinking about the proportional relationship between the vastness of the gap and the amount fear that another low point might be right around the corner. This hashing it out with readers is so helpful for my content!

        Delete
    4. I really enjoy reading your articles Jennifer. I appreciate your honesty and love your promise to see the beauty in everyday despite its accompanying hardships. I seek to create this sort of practice in my life as a working mother of two and am inspired by your example.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Leslie and please let me know what you find that works for you! Goodness knows all Moms need it.

        Delete
    5. Jennifer, I really enjoyed reading your 'About Me' page as well as your most recent post about your family memories. I am so happy for you that you have been able to find a creative outlet to help you deal with your depression. I also struggle with depression and am so thankful for my meditation/yoga practice as well as my writing. Best wishes to you!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much for commenting! OOH, I just peaked at your blog and it is a beauty. Macro Mondays is a delightful collection and practice.

        Delete