More mama bliss

Being a mindful, conscious mama can sometimes make you feel like you’re awash in a sea of constant demands and tending to the needs of the little ones around you. . . when this drive to provide the finest mothering skills around and most idyllic childhood possible you may eventually find yourself tapped out; not at your physical peak, short on patience and feeling like life is just one meal preparation, activity or playdate after another. You might even be feeling some resentment creep up at times like an ill-fitting pair of panties.  writes Kathy Stowell
I met Kathy, through her free e-course and am happy to host her as a guest blogger today.  As well as mentoring mamas to find more bliss in their mothering experience, Kathy has created a sewing course to build a wardrobe that meets our need to live a sustainable, creative life while meeting our just as equally important need to look organically stylish and cute.   Kathy has an infectively creative anything-is-possible-attitude.  I agree: 

The more we hear of women dreaming big dreams and making them happen, the more it will become the “new normal” and fuel us to do just the same.

If you choose to purchase her sewing course or ebooks, please link through my site using the buttons on my sidebar.  Mention my name for $100 off her 4 hour coaching block and Kathy will share the love in her quest to find more happiness while bringing us other mamas along. 

Please meet spunky Kathy, mama to two as she frolics wearing her handmades on her seven acres of paradise in BC, Canada. Here she shares some tips on sewing with children afoot.





Saturday is my day to creep up into my creative space and really get focused and productive. My husband and I arranged a deal ~ I have Saturday to hunker down on my work in exchange for a Sunday for him to go climb a mountain. Lucky for him he likes climbing mountains. Lucky for me I love helping moms simplify their lives so they can squeeze in more bliss and crafty play!
But there’s another great love in my life. I once waved bye to the crew right before bolting straight upstairs to pick out a new pattern, some fabric to play with and have a few solid uninterrupted hours at the sewing machine. But because my coaching and ecourse making work is gloriously full these days my only time left to sew includes having the kiddos around.
And you know what? It’s not as tricky as one would think.
The first step is visualization. This works for me I think because I lived it. My very first memory was me, one year old, riding my red donkey on wheels and getting sick to the sound of Simon and Garfunkle’s Sound of Silence.
I clearly remember my mom sewing right beside me. She stopped when she saw the mess but the memory serves to remind me that sewing with little ones around is not only doable but can even offer an enriching backdrop for kids practicing such life skills as riding red plastic donkeys.
The next step is to train your kids. If it helps promise them you’ll sew each one an outfit next. Matching. But don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get around to it. They have surprisingly short term memory. But figure out small ways to get them accustomed to fend for themselves while Mama’s at the machine.
Start with small chunks of time. You only need fifteen minutes here and there (it adds up fast) but you might need to start with five and work your way up. And with some experimenting you can figure out what you can get away with. I discovered with mine I can only cut out my fabric at night because otherwise the sound of my machine will wake up the darlings but I remember my adorable one year old self blissfully falling asleep to that gentle whir.
Pump out your bliss. Smile lots while you sew. Set up your area to be more smile inductive. Play your favourite music (Simon and Barfunkle anyone?), burn happiness inducing essential oils. Wear scraps of fabric on your head in creative ways and talk out loud in different, fake accents. Kids love being around blissed out mamas.
Have a novelty basket out for the kiddos. This special, of the crafty persuasion container should only be brought out with it’s sew time. When mine were smaller I offered them a basket full of wool to play with. When we got past the choking danger stage I would pull out buttons. Then after the cutting oneself with double sharp danger stage I offered felt scraps with scissors which eventually led them to the needle and embroidery thread fun they currently enjoy. The kids will dabble for a bit but then they will usually dawdle off.
The important key is to dive in and let the kids sort themselves out. My husband teases me and suggests we should have named our son “Hold On” because that’s what I say when I’m in the midst of a project. But that’s okay. They’re sensitive creatures and can smell the bliss. They get it and forgive us. And they even secretly love it. Especially if you remember to make them the cute matching outfits once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a sweet corner of the internets you have here Jennifer. Thank you for having me as a guest ~ you are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete