Quick! Before strawberries are out of season and while we are packing up for another camping trip, you have to see this indulgent treat from last time and I have a gluten free strawberry shortcake recipe to share.
On our last venture into the woods, my dear marshmallow-loving friend brought all the ingredients for Campfire Roasted Marshmallow Strawberries. Although I swore I would never allow my kids to eat anything called fluff, these are worth it, in a messy, tricky-to-manage and deliciously satisfying kind of way.
My husband's ingenious creation of pronged sticks which held the strawberries tight and kept them from falling into the fire, greatly improved our success rates. I am not the biggest fan of marshmallow, but once these squishy, hot, jammy berries covered in toasted cream went into my mouth, I was hooked. It's kind of healthy, right? If not, it's most definitely fun. Check out the ideas as well, on this site about the Art of Glamping.
Once we got home, I had to do something with all the berries that were bursting forth from the stands at the farmer's market. Here is a recipe for a gluten free strawberry shortcake that even blew my dessert and bakery aficionado husband's mind (the key is to mix the ingredients together like a cake, lots and lots of whisking keeps it airy.)
Light and Fluffy Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
~ gluten Free and no refined sugar ~
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
12 cup muffin tin
2 medium size mixing bowls
measuring cup and spoons
3 cups of sliced strawberries
1 8 oz. carton of heavy whipping cream
1 cup brown rice flour
¼ c tapioca flour or potato starch
¾ tsp xanthum gum
¾ tsp baking soda,
¼ tsp salt
Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
½ c cow milk, hemp milk, or any milk at room temperature
1/3 c butter melted
1/3 c maple syrup
*** Very important *** 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar,
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Whisk melted butter and milk together slowly so the butter does not solidify
- Whisk egg and maple syrup into butter and milk mixture until smooth
- Slowly fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring continuously so there are no lumps.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar just before spooning into muffin tin.
- Fill muffin tin only half full
- Place a sliced strawberry into the center of each muffin
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking slice strawberries
- Whip cream while adding a drizzle of honey or maple syrup as a light sweetener